What is an OUPV License?
An Operator of Uninspected Vessel (OUPV) license allows it holder to operate vessels less than 100 Gross Tons and carry up to six passengers-for-hire. This license is commonly referred to as a “six-pack license.”
For professionals, this is an excellent license for anyone starting or advancing a maritime career and is common among fishing guides, charter captains, and water taxis. Earning this license will enable you to captain vessels and chart your own course.
For boating enthusiasts and adventurers, earning this license is a great way to learn the fundamentals of navigation, emergency procedures, and navigation Rules of the Road. This course will prepare you for your next voyage, help you stay safe on the water, and captain confidently.
To be eligible for this license, you must meet the following requirements:
- 18+ years old
- Pass a National Maritime Center approved course and exam, such as Skip & Co.’s
- Have 360 days underway with 90 days in the past three years
- Complete a medical physical and drug screen
- Hold a Red Cross approved First-Aid/CPR certificate
More information regarding license requirements & application can be found at the National Maritime Center’s webpage
Why Skip & Co.?
- Instructor Experience: Captain Rob, the course instructor, is a former Coast Guard (CG) cutterman with years of domestic and international sailing experience. Notably, he served as a Commanding Officer of a patrol boat, an Executive Officer of an internationally deployed CG vessel, and a lead training officer. His experiences give him in-depth knowledge into navigation best practices, maritime law, and vessel safety. He’s trained numerous military crews, and he’s excited to share his knowledge with you.
- Student Assistance: Skip & Co. will provide student-centric support until you meet your licensing goals. Whether you need assistance meeting a learning objective or completing your application, Skip & Co. will partner with you from start to finish
Skip & Co.’s in-person OUPV course is approved by the National Maritime Center and is the perfect solution for groups, such as commercial organizations, military units, sailing teams, and all others. At the end of the course, Skip & Co. will proctor final exams and review each student’s license application.
This course consists of approximately 25 lectures hours. Skip & Co. will work with your group to design a schedule that works best for you.
Price per student will vary by group size and location but typically costs $970/student. Ask about our group enrollment, military, veteran, and first-responder discounts.
Skip & Co.’s online OUPV course is in its final stage of development and is expected to be launched August 2019. Complete this course at your own pace while still having access to Skip & Co.’s personalized support and years of training and navigation experience.
As you progress through the course, Skip & Co. will be 100% available to support your learning needs. Once you complete all online modules, Skip & Co. will schedule a final exam and review your license application.
Price per student will be $970. Ask about our group enrollment, military, veteran, and first-responder discounts.